Standards for safe, comfortable surgery improve every year
Laser surgery and electrosurgery offer a significant decrease in post-operative bleeding and pain.
Short-nosed dogs like bulldogs, pugs and Boston terriers benefit greatly from surgery to correct narrow nostrils and elongated soft palate (brachycephalic syndrome) which restrict oxygen, create abnormal pressures in the airways and may lead to airway collapse and heat stroke as they get older. Snoring is the most visible evidence of this problem.
Dr. Earl Mummert has over 35 years of special interest in orthopedic diagnosis, treatment and surgery. Fractures, dislocations, torn ligaments, knee injuries, hip dysplasia and other skeletal problems can be helped. Tibial tuberosity advancement (TTA) surgery is done to treat torn anterior cruciate ligaments (ACL). If joint replacement or other specialized problems require surgery, we will recommend the services of a board-certified surgeon who has supported CAH for over 30 years.
Oncology services including the diagnosis of many cancers, surgical removal of tumors, chemotherapy and palliative treatments to control pain, are available – compassion is standard.
- Thorough pre-surgical exam and review of procedures to be done.
- Blood-screening to assess organ function and assure maximum safety.
- Pre-medication with appropriate sedatives and analgesics to control anxiety and comfort.
- The most up-to-date anesthetics are used so pets of all ages can be safely anesthetized.
- Warm air circulating blankets to maintain our small patients warmth and comfort.
- Blood pressure monitor to assure adequate tissue circulation for all organs
- Pulse oximetry to monitor blood oxygen levels throughout the surgery.
- CO2 monitor gives an early alert to any changes in respiration.
- EKG monitor alerts us to any unlikely changes in heart function.
- Body temperature monitor allows us to regulate your pet accurately.
Spaying, neutering and declawing are performed routinely, but our surgeons also have extensive experience in orthopedic, gastrointestinal, urinary tract, ear/nose/throat, cancer and other complex surgery. Visit coastalvetsurgical.com for more information.